Tuesday 15 September 2015

Horseradish

I've always wanted some, but was looking for seed. Stupid me. Eventually I asked the guys at Sunnyside Nursery, and they led me to a small pot. I bought it and transplanted in about February, and it put out quite a few extra leaves, then completely died off during winter, As nothing happened for a few months, it looked like I'd managed to kill it.

Digging around in the compost in the tyre with my hand to clear it for the next experiment revealed quite a large root, and a few days later a few shoots broke the surface. It now looks like this:


Again, this is something I need to work out how to process, but suspect it needs another year in the ground before digging it up and converting some of it to condiments.

Update 2015/10/17:


A month later, and it's flourishing. I could have dug it up, ground some of the root and replanted, but let's see how it goes through summer.

Update 2015/10/31:


It's currently the biggest thing in the garden. And still growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment