Monday 7 March 2016

Thysanoptera damage to green peppers?

Most of my green pepper and chilli plants are showing signs of thrips damage - the new growth and flower buds are wrinkled and unhealthy looking, even though the rest of the plant looks OK. Any fruit that sets from the buds is misshape, with scars. This damage is probably due to thrips, but I'm not sure... and have no real idea what to do about it. Looking at Google images, there is only a partial match - there isn't any leaf "spotting" associated with the crinkling.

I thought I'd got away with no garden pests this season, as there were zero aphids to be seen the whole growing period. A few slugs in the early days, but they diminished over time.

Maybe all associated with growing tomatoes nearby? A virus?

Update 2016/04/27:


The C.F. Jacot-Guillarmod Thysanoptera collection. Boxes of microscope slides with the thrips mounted under cover slips in canada balsam.


The catalogue - these are mounted cuttings of journal/newspaper articles/snippets on A4 sheets in 3 ring binders. My dad had a formidable correspondence with entomologists from all over the world and exchanged articles with them. It mirrors the sort of thing he did with articles on Basutoland/Lesotho, which are in the Cory Library.

Thanks to John Midgley, the entomologist at the Albany Museum for showing me around. The top floor of the John Hewitt wing has changed since I was a youngster visiting my dad. Gone is the evocative smell of Ethyl Acetate, mothballs and Xylene. Closure of a sort, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment